5 Facts About Dental Implants You Might Not Know

October 16, 2020

Filed under: Uncategorized — drearnest @ 11:04 pm
Dental implant

Are you missing teeth? You aren’t alone. It’s estimated that approximately 178 million Americans are missing at least one tooth and 40 million and missing all of their teeth. When it comes to tooth replacement, you want to make sure that you are choosing the best option for your needs. Dental implants are preferred by dentists and patients alike. However, with all the misinformation out there, it is difficult to know what to believe. Your dentist shares some surprising facts that may be able to clear up some of your dental implant questions.

Dental Implants Are Resistant to Tooth Decay

Since the implant is made out of titanium and the crown is made out of porcelain, they are completely resistant to developing cavities. However, this does not mean that you can slack on your oral hygiene routine. Your natural teeth can still experience decay and you need to ensure that you don’t develop periodontal disease. Dental implants rely on healthy gum tissue in order to be successful.

Tooth Implants Work Well

Not only do dental implants have a 95% success rate, but they also restore up to 70% of your chewing power so you can enjoy your favorite foods again without having to worry about stability. Dentures, on the other hand, only restore around 30% chewing power. You won’t need to worry about slipping or sliding around.

Dental Implants Increase Confidence

Dental implants allow patients to have a permanent tooth replacement option that acts just like their normal teeth do. Because they replace the root of the missing tooth, they prevent jawbone deterioration, which leads to a loss of facial structure and can ultimately make people look much older than they actually are. Having implants that look and function like natural teeth are bound to contribute a boost of confidence.

You Need to Watch What You Eat

Even though you won’t have any eating restrictions once your implants have fused to the jawbone, you will need to be very careful while they are still healing. It is best to stick to softer foods. Hard, crunchy foods can disturb the healing process. You also need to be careful not to continue bad habits like ice chewing or biting your nails.

Dental Implants Can Be Relatively Inexpensive

When considering dental implants, it’s best to look at them as an investment. In the long run, it can actually be the least expensive option. Dentures have an average lifespan of ten years while dental bridges last anywhere from 5 to 15 years. Dental implants are a permanent tooth replacement option and can last upwards of 25 years when cared for properly. They are also the only tooth replacement option out there that replaces the root of the missing tooth, therefore preventing bone loss. In the end, it’s a worthwhile investment.

Ask your dentist if you’d make a good candidate for dental implants. You’ll be showing off your smile again in no time!

About the Author

Dr. David Earnest earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery from the University of Texas Health Science Center. He is a member of numerous professional organizations including the Academy of Osseointegration and the International Congress of Oral Implantologists. For more information on dental implants or to schedule a consultation at his office in Seguin, visit his website or call (830) 549-5112.

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.